Sunday, September 30, 2012

25 Years Later

This year on August 3rd marked 25 years since my Dad passed. We decided to make it special and visit his grave as a family.  We used to visit every year growing up but it had been a long time since I had been back. Leading up to this special day, I enlisted family and friends to contribute thoughts and letters regarding his life and death with the perspective of 25 years having passed. I really had the BEST summer receiving these responses every few days or so. Being just 3 years old, there is so much I really don't know about my Dad and I actually learned a lot about him through these responses. Each letter was personal and heartfelt and often brought a tear to my eye. I think it gave me some closure that I didn't even realize I needed.


My Grandpa Mathison passed just 5 days after Ben was born in May and he was buried right next to him.  Since I had just had Ben, I wasn't able to attend the funeral.  I was happy we could visit him too while we were there.  Such a beautiful grave side.  I've always loved this big shade tree over their plots.  I used to think people needed shade when they died because of this tree.  Once when my fish died, I surrounded his little bowl with books so he'd have shade.  Death through the eyes of a child is confusing.  But it's amazing to look back and see how much we all have grown and changed (and multiplied!).  I know my Dad is preparing a heavenly place for us to be reunited as a family and I look forward to that special day.  

No comments: